“All disease begins in the gut.” - Hippocrates.
My philosophy is that if you are truly healthy, you should have about 3 bowel movements per day, otherwise you are CONSTIPATED! The number one digestive complaint that I hear about is constipation. The scary part is, most people experience chronic constipation and are not even aware of it, or worse, they think it's normal.
Unfortunately, most people only have 1 poop per day, while others will go days without having a good poop. This is not normal and/or healthy. Think of it this way, almost every time you walk a dog it goes #2. After every meal you walk the dog and it goes #2. This will happen every single time you feed and walk the dog. If this doesn’t happen then you know that there is something wrong with the pup. See the pattern? You eat and you poop. This is what I call good plumbing and good elimination. Honestly, how great do you feel after an amazing poop? Lighter? Pants fit looser? Basically, you just feel awesome. Constipation is a problem and if you don’t take care of it, your pipes can get clogged, possibly leading to other colon related health issues.
Fit Tip: Approximately 70% of your immune system is in the gut and serotonin (the feel good neurotransmitter) is made in the gut.
Bloating, gas, belly distention, weight gain, hemorrhoids, diverticulitis, etc, etc, are all symptoms associated with constipation and poor gut health. Are these symptoms telling you something? Are you listening to your body’s signals that something is wrong in the gut? I ask people “What happens when you don’t take the garbage out?’ Well it rots. Even after one day and you forget to take the garbage out, it rots. It rots, gets gassy, ferments, and stinks up the whole house. I personally prefer not to leave days of unwanted fecal matter rotting in my gut and stinking up my body because that nasty stuff can cause problems that I do not want.
On the average, most of us eat very little fiber and eat lots of junk that clogs our colons, disrupting proper gut function. We don’t drink enough water and we are sedentary. News flash, if you want to look and feel great, you should have amazing poops because how you poop is a reflection of how you eat and live. For optimal health you must assimilate and eliminate. What good does it do you if you can’t break down and absorb your food and supplements because your pipes are clogged?
Simple tips to getting more “colon conscious” and you will poop yourself healthier, happier, and thinner.
- DRINK MORE WATER. You can’t clear the pipes if it’s dry inside. Add more water to flush your system and flush away any potential poop shoot blues.
- TAKE PROBIOTICS. Probiotics are beneficial bacteria, which everyone needs in their gut for healthy gut ecology. These “good guys” support the immune system and help soften up and break down any rock solid fecal matter that has a hard time passing through.
- FIBER. Self-explanatory. Aim for 25-30 grams per day. My suggestion is along with eating a diet high in fruits and veggies, add chia seed and flaxseed to your diet. I personally don’t think eating a few salads is enough and having a diversity of fiber is fundamental to good poops. Chia and flaxseed bulk the stool, help trap and remove toxins by sweeping the colon walls so nothing gets stuck. They are also superfoods loaded with nutrition.
- AVOID COLON CLOGGING FOOD. Cheese, milk, and gluten really can bind you up. This combination is like Elmer’s glue for the gut. I personally avoid anything that could block absorption of nutrients and give me a gut. Better safe than sorry. Having a flat stomach is a great motivator. I personally don’t want to look like I eat a diet full of cheese and bread all day. I prefer to look like I thrive on a healthy diet that shows.
- HEALHTY OILS. Taking in additional high quality oils such as fish oil or flaxseed oil can really help soften and lubricate the bowels. In addition, they are heart healthy, can help you lose the “bad fat” off the body, and help the skin to look and feel great!
- MAGNESIUM. Many of us our low on the special nutrient. Magnesium is very important for body alkalinity and bowel support. It helps relax the muscles and a bound up bowel. A great product on the market is CALM’S by Natural Vitality. It’s a magnesium powder you can add to your water. Not only will it help you poop better its great for your bones. You cannot absorb Calcium without Magnesium.
- EXERCISE. Just like when we walk the dog to get it to go poop, we must do the same. Besides the obvious reasons for exercising (health, longevity, strength) you should exercise and twist the mid section to help in stimulating the movement of the bowels. All abdominal exercise and twists (especially the ones taught in yoga) are fantastic for massaging the colon and clearing the pipes.
- COLON CLEANSING. I personally like to do colonics (colon hydrotherapy) and annual colon cleansing to ensure my pipes are clear and free of any possible toxins. I consider this an investment in my health. They say that colon cancer is the #2 killer in U.S. An oz. of prevention is worth a pound of cure. Why not take a little self-care and maintenance to ensure a lifetime of good health? When in doubt, clean it out.
So the main lesson here is to reevaluate your colon health and get “colon conscious.” For a healthier and better you, you should really keep the colon watch on high-priority and make sure the pipes move regularly and clearly. Any changes in regularity can indicate a potential hazard. I can almost guarantee that if you take into consideration the tips I have suggested and utilize colon support for your gut; you will look and feel better than you did before. Once you start having increased bowel movement, (hopefully my goal of 3 poops a day), you will notice how good you feel, that it feels natural, and oh so right. Happy Pooping!
Check out my online store. I carry some the best colon support products that I personally use for my gut and colon by Advanced Naturals.
My top favorites.
- Ultimate Flora Max 50 Billion- These are probiotics. Remember the higher the culture the stronger they are.
- Colon Max- Great colon support to help move your bowels naturally. It is a gentle laxative with magnesium as main ingredient.
- Super Critical Omega- High quality fish oil enhanced with 1000 IU of vitamin D.
- Triple Fiber Max Caps- Organic Blend of fiber.
- RENEW LIFE is another great company whose products are available at so many health food stores, whole foods, and I have even seen it mainstream drug stores. I think they have some of the best colon support products available that are safe and effective.