Nothing says relaxing on a lazy weekend morning like having a bloody mary with brunch. However, starting your day with booze is also a great way to not only ensure that you don’t accomplish anything for the rest of the day — whether you had planned to hit a yoga class or crush through some side projects in the afternoon — it will also make you feel less than your best. Alcohol has also been shown to weaken the immune system, which is not what you want as we head into cold and flu season.
So instead of falling for the same old boozy bloody mary, why not try this alcohol-free version that not only tastes even better but is better for you. This recipe is packed with immune-boosting ingredients like turmeric, ginger, garlic, lemon juice, and apple cider vinegar. While it’s no substitute for getting a flu shot or wearing a face mask, this brunch-worthy beverage is a great way to give your immune system a little extra kick.
If you really find yourself missing the taste of alcohol, but not the negative after-effects, there are tons of booze-free spirits on the market that can make this taste even more like the real thing. Lyre makes a great “Dry London Spirit” that works super well in this recipe if you’re looking for a more authentic flavor, but it’s just as good without!
Booze-Free Bloody Mary
- 16 ounces tomato juice (you can also use a tomato-based vegetable juice blend, like V8)
- 2 tablespoons grated garlic or garlic paste
- 2 tablespoons horseradish
- 2 tablespoons freshly grated ginger or ginger paste
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons coconut aminos
- 2 tablespoons of your favorite hot sauce
- In a small bowl, whisk together all of the ingredients except the tomato juice
- Divide the mixture evenly into two glasses. Fill each glass halfway with tomato juice and stir. Add ice, and top off each glass with remaining tomato juice.
Written by Carina Finn