Exercise has so many great benefits for women. From building muscle to reducing stress, being active can help improve not only a woman’s body and physical health but also her mood and mental well-being.
Here are 10 reasons why it’s great to be an active woman, including benefits for both body and mind:
- Improves decision making. Who wouldn’t want to improve their decision making? According to Fitness magazine, “Exercise activates a part of your brain called the ventral prefrontal cortex, which is important for decision making and emotional processing.”
- Reduces stress. Whether it’s their careers, relationships or kids, women can face all kinds of stress. Exercise increases your serotonin level, which helps decrease negative emotions and increase positive ones.
- Improves your memory. Fitness magazine reports that exercise “increases the activity level in part of your brain called the hippocampus, which plays a key role in helping you form new memories and retrieve old ones.”
- Prevents cognitive decline. According to Greatist, “While exercise and a healthy diet can’t ‘cure’ Alzheimer’s, they can help shore up the brain against cognitive decline that begins after age 45. Working out, especially between age 25 and 45, boosts the chemicals in the brain that support and prevent degeneration of the hippocampus, an important part of the brain for memory and learning.”
- Improves your sex life. The Harvard School of Public Health found that just 20 minutes of regular exercise a day can improve sexual response in women, according to Woman’s Day.
- Prevents osteoporosis. According to Mayo Clinic, “Osteoporosis is a major cause of disability in older women. A bone-weakening disorder, osteoporosis often results in fractures in the hip and spine — which can severely impair your mobility and independence. How can you reduce your risk of these life-altering injuries? Exercise can help.”
- Supports your digestion. Woman’s Day reports The Gastroenterological Society of Australia has found that exercise can help the intestines muscles break down food and move it through your system correctly.
- Helps your skin look better. Woman’s Day says studies show that exercise helps clear up acne by controlling the production of acne-producing hormones. And, while it might seem counterintuitive, sweating can unclog pores and help clear up your breakouts.
- Improves your sleep. According to Women’s Health, the National Sleep Foundation found that up to 67 percent of regular exercisers report getting a good night’s sleep.
- Helps you feel better about your body. According to Fitness magazine, people who exercise often say they are more satisfied with their bodies immediately after they exercise.
These are 10 great reasons to exercise today! To help you look and feel better than your best while you exercise, check out EleVen’s latest collection.